Thursday, April 2, 2009

7:00 Meatheads

As we just learned my hobby is lifting and working out in general. For those of you who work out you have your "time". Every person at the gym who has made it a habit has a time. You know the people lifting with you, you know the girl on the elliptical with the Cosmo, you know the old man who lifts on the lowest setting but you give him credit for his attempts. Since I work at the gym I pretty much know everyone no matter the time. The one thing I noticed throughout the years is after 7 the free weight room becomes scary boy club.

At 7 you start to hear the F bomb every other minute. It sounds like you are in a barn yard with all the grunting. The 7:00 meatheads have taken over the room. I am fortunate enough to know that they are big babies, but big none the less. No other time of the day do you hear are you hitting that 90lb dumbbell? No other time is a weight belt and wrist straps a required article of clothing. No other time am I fearful of being in the weight room. I see why women think its boys only.

I can talk the talk and play the game but I still feel like an idiot down there.

Since I am a workaholic I do not have a time, I just make time as it becomes available but I always make the time before 7. The meatheads throwing the 45 plates around scare me. I have no need to talk football with the guys squatting four of me in between sets. I have no need for one of the huge neanderthals staring at my lack of rear while doing bent over rows.

I do not grunt nor do I throw weights so I do not get to be in the 7:00 meathead club.

Quote of the day:
You've dedicated your entire life to building up your body through hard work, pain, hunger and desire. Every single day requires sacrifice. This is our world brothers... This is hardcore livin'. Welcome.


1 comment:

katie j said...

What is it with guys and free weights and the seemingly uncontrolable need to grunt and then throw the weight on the ground and then check themselves out in the mirror?! I don't get it and I don't think I want to....